Friday, October 14, 2011

JE 22 Pocket Treasures

Often I find things in my son's pants.  I've come to call them pocket treasures.  Mostly they are discarded items.  Erasers. Beads.  Or natural items.  Sticks. Mulch. Rocks, plenty of rocks - crystals. Pebbles.

He's sentimental about things too - doesn't like me to throw things out.  I have to sneak the McDonald's Happy Meal box into the garbage half the time.  I am not allowed to throw out the directions to the Happy Meal toy... the list goes on.  And on.  We have stick collections by the shed, a rock collection by the recycle bin, and I have a box dedicated specfically for pocket treasures in the junk drawer.

Pocket treasures has expanded into back pack treasures - every evening I unload all the numerous pockets, why so many pockets?  But I unload them into the box or the appropriate collection.  Each day one or two more items get added.

My question is am I perpetuating this behavior? Should my clean out go directly into the trash?  But I don't.  I put these pocket treasures in their respective corners and just deal.

Maybe it goes like this - he started it but I finished it.  More like I continued it...maybe because I want to see where these pocket treasures will fit into the mosaic of his life.

No comments: