Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Today is a Poem Waiting to be Written - Rough Draft

Silver glints off wind brushed seas
White spray over wet jetty rocks

Tattooed man with cigar in hand rubs his darling’s ankle
She sits upon the seawall looking toward the ocean

A family plays at water’s edge
Small girl squealing in the surf

The flag gently blows toward the sea,
White fluffy clouds paint the sky
Gulls nestle into sandy ruts
Coast guard chopper nears the coast

The outline of my shadow sits on the blue-lined page
Toes buried beneath cool sand
Waves crash behind me
A grey seagull walks close by – revealing the human in his eye

People tucked to the seawall, a barrier from morning wind
A good breeze blows the hot off my back
Red isn’t a summer color

Grasshopper on the beach, so near the crash of waves,
Clings to my soft cotton dress,
Green legs bracing fabric trapped between
Seeking solace up my leg

The cold the water leaves my skin,
A memory,
A splash,
Before reality sinks in

Bus 16 dieseling by
Soon – snack and backpack and how was your day

No comments: