Wednesday, September 28, 2011

JE 8 - Distracted By My Own Distractions

The rough draft of my short short story is due this evening, so essentially I will need to get something together within the next few hours because once Charlie gets off the bus - me time is gone.  It is on to homework and shower and dinner - some of which will have to fall on Grandpa as Mimi is in Arlington looking after a sick baby Elle and I have to leave by 5:30 to get to my class in Hyannis.  (The roads and flow of traffic on the Cape amuses me.  I do not know of another place in the world where driving 30 miles takes 60 minutes.  Another argument for my need of a helicopter...)

So back to the story - I have narrowed down the possibilities.  I have 500 words of, well, crap, which is okay.  It is 500 words, and it is on the right track - more like a rambling of thoughts preceeding the writing of the story, kind of working it out in my head.  The problem seems to be I see this as something bigger.  But seeing as I don't do bigger - short short seems like a good goal.

Life - and writing - is all about goals. And rewards.  Getting that carrot.  If it ain't dangling off'a no string - I ain't runnin' after it.  (And I think we all know my thoughts about running.)

So instead of distracting myself with journal entries, blog postings, vacuuming, or phone calls if you don't mind I am going to excuse myself and do some short story writing.  Au Revoir!

No comments: