Thursday, December 08, 2011

JE 49 Charlie the Wantabe Clown

So this idea has been forming in my mind since the chance encounter with the clowns on Saturday.  My father has forged a friendship with Rollo and my son, well, he just likes clowning around.  He brought his red foam clown nose to school on Monday.  How did I know?  It came home in his lunch.  He knows that bringing things from home is not allowed but I guess he slipped it past me.  It wasn't the first time and I am sure it won't be the last.

Just last night when I suspected some funny business, I discovered my suspicion was correct, although I thought Charlie brought a candy cane to bed.  Nope.  He brought his DSi to bed.  Imagine an extra hour and a half of video game time on a school night.  Video games are prohibited on school days in this house.  When giving him a second kiss for the night I discovered and confiscated the contraband after my suspicions grew stronger as the boy feigned sleep.  Your mama's no dummy Charlie boy.

But back to the clown business.  It's the one, of the ten-ish things, that makes me buzz.  It's an idea.  And it's been growing.  Getting pushy.  Shoving some of the other guys out.

So at this point I wonder - do I set aside the story Ain't Life Grand, the one that's hard to write because it is close to home and develop something about clowns?  That's the way the GWW book is leading me.  I guess we will see. 

Have you heard of Grub Street writers?  It's in Boston.  Think I need to check that out.



Two pictures of one of the clowns who inspired the idea.

No comments: