Thursday, December 01, 2011

JE 37 Gotham Writers' Workshop Writing Fiction - The Book

Focus on Journal Entries.  Seeing as this is number 37 and I need to be at 50 by Wednesday, I think I will be blogging a bit more over the next few days. 

The book I reviewed for my course was Gotham Writers' Workshop Writing Fiction, which I love because it is a practical application of instruction and example and assignment.  This format works well as a writing journal.

One of the most popular bits of advice for writing is simply to write.  That is the thought behind these journal entries and this blog as well.  Anne Lamott speaks of "shitty first drafts," which I am all for - getting it out of my head and down on paper - where it can exist, because when it is in my head, only in my head, it can get lost.  Forgotten.  How many forgotten novels do we have buried deep within our brains?

For me - this is an escape route.  A thinking outloud.  By no means is this a polished, publishable piece, but maybe it is a nugget.  Something.

This morning my son's friend, Adonis, took a tiny Lego piece out of his pocket and tossed it into our front lawn.  Charlie seemed offended and told me what had just happened as if I had not seen.  I told them, "Maybe it will grow into a Lego tree."  We spent the next few minutes waiting for the bus thinking up all the wonderful parts this tree could grow.  Little Lego people.  Cars, boats.  Handcuffs.  I said that I thought Lego handcuffs might not work too well as they could just unsnap very easily, but my son assured me that there were Lego handcuffs and that they don't come apart.  Okay.

So this - idiosyncrasies of me - is my Lego tree.  I am tossing out parts to see if anything grows. 

No comments: