Monday, February 27, 2012

The Migraine Discovery

My mother must talk to nearly everybody about the debilitating migraines I suffer because she is always feeding me migraine tips, most of which I have already heard - until recently. 

This someone shared something from her neurologist - of which I had not yet heard.  And I do a LOT of migraine research. I know about the trigeminal nerve and can feel it pulsing above my ear as a migraine spills into my face.  It's been explained to me, I've read about it, and had pictures drawn illustrating it.  The Botox migraine treatment is targeting just this.  I have not yet qualified for the Botox treatment, so in the meantime I seek other solutions.

Below is an illustration of the trigeminal nerve. 
Courtesy of Mayo Clinic


The discovery?  Capzasin No-Mess Applicator directly (and liberally) applied to carotid artery on the left side of neck. 

Below is an illustration of the internal and external carotid arteries.
Courtesy of Patrick J. Lynch, medical illustrator: Licenses.



The claim - by applying Capzasin to the carotid artery you are essentially stopping the migraine.

My findings - inconclusive.  I have attempted this three times.  The first time it was too late.  I already had the beginning signs - and more - of a migraine when she told me about the treatment.  She ran to the nearest CVS, got the stuff, and I soon applied it to my neck - LIBERALLY.  Maybe too liberally because from my ear lobe to my chest my skin glowed red.  Ultimately, attempt one failed and ended in a dose of Relpax.

On my second attempt, with the first attempt in mind, I sparingly applied the liquid, which did not work either.

And my third attempt - once again liberally - and perhaps applied too late also ended in a dose of Relpax.

Does this work?  I am not sure.  And I am not sure I am going to give it a fourth attempt.  But I thought I would share...in the interest of, well, sharing.

No comments: