Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I do kung fu

I know - right!  I can hardly believe it myself.  And like with everything else in my life it was kind of by accident.  I mean it wasn't like I set out to learn a martial art, but here I am blogging in my kung fu uniform sans white sash - which I have not yet earned - my son likes to point out.

But I am having fun.

I have always been fairly athletic starting early with ballet but then switching to horses - after maybe 10 years? - throw in a little swim team, diving team, weight training, which eventually turned into a combination of walking, biking, pilates, yoga - and now kung fu.

I don't run.  Well, I did run once.  See my mom sat on the committee for the Falmouth Road Race, she thought it might be "Fun" for me and a friend to run in it - and we did. 

Not so fun mom, not so fun.

Especially when, red-faced and drenched, I overheard bored onlookers who were packing up their cheering section sorrowfully say, 'Maybe we should stay - these are the people who really need our encouragement.'

Thanks. A lot.

Perhaps training would have been a smart move - but it makes a great story.  Who cares that I didn't quailfy for the Boston Marathon?

So I am thinking Baby Elle isn't going to be starting up in the next few years, but...her big cousin does kung fu too!

1 comment:

JC said...

So glad to read that you are doing well! We miss you at book club!